Re: LARRY LAJOIE BASEBALL CARDS BY GOUDEY GUM

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OBC Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted ByDeborah on December 29, 2002 at 23:17:03:

In Reply to: Re: LARRY LAJOIE BASEBALL CARDS BY GOUDEY GUM posted byt206 sherwood magie on August 22, 2002 at 13:43:23:

: : : I HAVE AN 1933 GOUDEY GUM BASEBALL CARD.THIS IS A NAPOLEON LARRY LAJOIE CARD.ON ITS BACK THE CARD HAS A STORY ABOUT A MISTAKE MADE BY GOUDEY GUM CO, IN WICH THE BASEBALL CARD # 106 WAS NEVER RELEASED.MY CARD SAYS ON ITS BACK THAT THE VALUE OF IT FOR THAT TIME WAS ABOUT $ 7,500 (IN 1933-1934)THE CARD IS A DRAWING OF NAPOLEON LARRY LAJOIE STANDING IN FRONT OF A GREEN BACKGROUND,BUT THE CARD DOESN'T HAS THE 106 NUMBER ON IT. THE CARD IS SHORTER IN SIZE,WHEN COMPARED TO REGULAR CARDS.I WANT TO KNOW THE VALUE OF THIS CARD

: :
: : I posted a message to this board a little over a month ago about this very card, and I'll repost it because it's well worth repeating:

: : This card seems to be popping up a lot recently; through my vintage baseball cards website, I have been getting quite a few emails about this particular reprint.

: : In the early 1980s, Hygrade Sports Card Co. of New York City put together a hobby kit to acquaint youngsters with collecting baseball cards. In the kit, there was a 30-page guide to the hobby, an annotated price guide, a 9-pocket plastic sheet, a semi-rigid top loader, a set of five cards of great baseball players (Cobb, Ruth, Cy Young, Jackie Robinson and Mantle), and five reprint cards. The cards were:

: : T206 Honus Wagner
: : T206 Eddie Plank
: : T206 Sherwood Magie
: : T207 Lewis (Boston)
: : 1933 Goudey Napoleon Lajoie

: : Each card had a written description on the back about why the card was so scarce or valuable. Along with the description was a then-current value. As pointed out by an earlier answer to this question, the original issuers had no idea in 1933 that the Lajoie card would be worth $10 grand and wouldn't have included that particular line on the card (Actually, the card was printed in 1934, but that's an answer to another question).

: : Common sense would indicate that any baseball card that quotes its own value or has a description about how it became scarce would be a reprint, but I see these five cards offered on eBay quite frequently...and offered as the real thing! And people actually bid for them, even when an image is available of the back of the card.

: : BTW...I have actually taken the time to inform some of the sellers that they were trying to sell a reprint card by making it look authentic, but most don't seem to care. Hopefully, this answer can help by keeping an unsuspecting buyer from spending good money for a worthless reprint.

do you have the Picture of Larry Lajoie's card if so can you please send me a copy of it I have one.. Thank you

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OBC Message Board ] [ FAQ ]