Re: card value

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OBC Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted ByChris on November 06, 2002 at 20:57:59:

In Reply to: card value posted byRandy Miville on November 05, 2002 at 19:51:51:

: I have an old card and I would like to know it's value. It is a 1912 tobacco card. The back of the card states that it is the rarest of the 200 card set known as T-207. It was included in packages of Broadleaf, Cycle, Napoleon and Recruit cigarettes. The writing on the front of the card says "Lewis-Boston-Nat."

I posted a message to this board a little over a month ago about this very card, and I'll repost it because it's well worth repeating:

This card seems to be popping up a lot recently; through my vintage baseball cards website, I have been getting quite a few emails about this particular reprint.

In the early 1980s, Hygrade Sports Card Co. of New York City put together a hobby kit to acquaint youngsters with collecting baseball cards. In the kit, there was a 30-page guide to the hobby, an annotated price guide, a 9-pocket plastic sheet, a semi-rigid top loader, a set of five cards of great baseball players (Cobb, Ruth, Cy Young, Jackie Robinson and Mantle), and five reprint cards. The cards were:

T206 Honus Wagner
T206 Eddie Plank
T206 Sherwood Magie
T207 Lewis (Boston)
1933 Goudey Napoleon Lajoie

Each card had a written description on the back about why the card was so scarce or valuable. Along with the description was a then-current value. As pointed out by an earlier answer to this question, the original issuers had no idea in 1933 that the Lajoie card would be worth $10 grand and wouldn't have included that particular line on the card (Actually, the card was printed in 1934, but that's an answer to another question).

Common sense would indicate that any baseball card that quotes its own value or has a description about how it became scarce would be a reprint, but I see these five cards offered on eBay quite frequently...and offered as the real thing! And people actually bid for them, even when an image is available of the back of the card.

BTW...I have actually taken the time to inform some of the sellers that they were trying to sell a reprint card by making it look authentic, but most don't seem to care. Hopefully, this answer can help by keeping an unsuspecting buyer from spending good money for a worthless reprint.

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OBC Message Board ] [ FAQ ]